Private security guard shoots man dead as right wing rally erupts in violence


Shot dead at close range, this is the moment a private security guard killed a man as rallies between rival far-right and far-left activists erupted in violence.

Denver police arrested the gunman, who was working for a local TV news crew, on suspicion of murder after a member believed to belong to the ‘Patriot Muster’ group was fatally wounded.

The dead man maced the security guard, who then pulled out his handgun and shot him at 3.37pm on Saturday near the courtyard of the Denver Art Museum.

The shooting came as the protests between the two groups were winding down, officials said.

Video close to the incident shows what led up to the death.

A man wearing a “Black Guns Matter” T-shirt is seen loudly arguing with several men after allegedly being harassed by suspected “white supremacists”.

One of the group moves out of view of the camera, and seconds later, he is shot.

On the footage, the mist of the mace he fired can be seen, as the shot rings out.

The man can be seen falling to the ground.

Another video shows several police officers rushing to the scene, shouting “drop the gun” as the shooter can be seen getting down on the pavement as cops surround him.

Both the victim and the gunman were white men, Joe Montoya, chief of the Police Department’s investigations division confirmed.

The victim was taken to a hospital, where he later died, he said.

“There was a verbal altercation that transpired at the area of the shooting,” Chief Montoya said.

Two guns were recovered at the scene.

“This shooting is now being investigated as a homicide,” Denver Police Department later tweeted.

The authorities did not publicly identify the men involved, but the police said on Twitter the gunman was a private security guard with no affiliation to far-left anti-fascist group Antifa.

The shooting occurred in an area near a planned police support rally and counterprotest.

Many such events have been seen throughout the States following the death of George Floyd by white police in Minneapolis.